Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What do teachers make ...

As the "happiest time of the year..." back to school commercials start to pop up on tv again (didn't we just leave?!) it's time for me to get ready to go back to class too - but in a totally different role this semester! This time I'm the teacher! For the next four months I get to hang out with a group of elementary school students in Punta Gorda, Belize!

I've done a total of about 10 weeks of teaching so far, grade 5 English and Math (the latter of which I had to pretend didn't almost kill me when I was in grade 5) and grade 7,8,11 Social Studies. But this time I get to start with the students, I get to be there with them until Christmas, in our own classroom, and do it my way the whole time. I. AM. SO. EXCITED. Seriously.

I have really enjoyed my two practicum semesters so far, but when you're there for such a short time you don't get to connect as much with the students as you would like. Don't get me wrong, some days, that last period (a double, 80 minute period might I add) of Japanese history with 13 year olds felt like it would never end. But overall, in and out in 6 weeks was fast, and just really doesn't give you a chance to see the students grow and learn the way you know they can and will.

And the way they grow is the reason I want to work with youth. I do want to teach, although not necessarily right after grad, but mostly I just want to be part of the education and growth of youth. Yes, "Youth are the Future" and all that jazz, but really - I love young people because most of them are so open to learning, to being good people and good friends. I love the opportunity that being an educator presents. An educator, and they come in many a form, can be there to show students the good in the world, to show them what great strides are already being made in medicine, social services, poverty reduction, conflict resolution... They get to show students what they get to be a part of!

This does mean that we must take on the great responsibility of providing balanced presentations of facts that include the injustices of the world. They need to learn about things like poverty in their communities and around the world, they need to learn that children their own age are sold by their families to work as slaves and that governments and corporations aren't always looking out for the greatest needs in society.They need to learn that the world is full of kindness and joy but also of hardship, cruelty and pain. Thankfully though, students also get to learn that they can do something about the bad parts, right now.

I was blessed to have great teachers, parents, mentors and school and community leaders, who were creative, joyful, and socially conscious. They showed me how I can learn new things all the time just by reading a new book, talking to people, figuring it out on my own... They opened my eyes to the hard parts of life - poverty, neglect, inequality. And they showed me how to be compassionate and how to take action.

So teachers (read: school teachers, parents, coaches, youth group leaders, and everyone else who influences youth) make a heck of a lot of difference. I hope to be one of those ones who makes a POSITIVE difference. Looking forward to getting another chance this September.

To close - here are two links.

The first is a link to my travel blog where I will share my adventures from Punta Gorda!

The second is a link to the ever heartwarming "What Do Teachers Make" video by Taylor Mail.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and inspiring. You will absolutely make a positive difference to those kids in Punta Gorda....how could you not when you already make such a positive difference right here in Canada?? Miss you, love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellente! Muchos Gracias! I plan to follow your adventures closely over the next four months :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Miss Samantha and Mr. Wallace ;) Chris, I've already loaded your blogs onto the computer I'm bringing with me! Gotta keep up on my reviews!

    ReplyDelete