Sunday, April 22, 2012

Why I voted for Shannon Phillips

There has been a big "Anti-Wildrose" push on Facebook lately. While I am glad people are seeing the danger this party represents for an equitable society in Alberta, I'm not really a fan of the campaign. When I go to vote, I don't want to vote AGAINST somebody, I want to vote FOR somebody. And I'm very glad that in this round of elections I have a great option.

I voted for Shannon Phillips in the advanced polls because she's even more than just an alternative to the Wildrose. While she IS an absolutely fantastic and totally winnable candidate for Lethbridge West as an alternative to the Wildrose, Shannon and the Alberta NDP have a lot more to offer than just that.

Here are some of my reasons:
1) She's a rockstar. I met Shannon at the beginning of my university career when she led a media workshop for LPIRG. I was super impressed at how articulate, intelligent and all around savvy she was. She has continued to live up to that fantastic first impression.

2) She knows what she's talking about. Shannon is no new comer to politics and it shows. She's young but not naive, she gives her colleagues run for their money - anyone who has been to any of the forums this election knows what I mean. She calls out the other candidates with hard facts and with the experience she already has under her belt.

3) She has a great platform. Again I reiterate, in elections, I don't like to vote against someone, I want to vote FOR someone who will stand up for what I believe in and for what I want in my province. Shannon and the Alberta NDP will do that. They're plans for environmental sustainability, education, health care, resource management and Indigenous relations all reflect the values I hold myself.

4) Have I mentioned she's a rockstar?

5) She has the energy this city needs in a representative. Lethbridge is an exciting, growing city with a lot to offer, and Shannon knows how to represent that. You can see it in her campaign so far - she has been non stop. She's been talking to people in person, on their doorsteps, at their favourite events showing her support for US as Lethbians, not just asking us for OUR support.

Basically Shannon is just one of the most intelligent and articulate and high energy women I've met and I am so glad she's a candidate in my riding and that I get the privilege to vote FOR a great candidate like her rather than thinking I have to vote AGAINST someone else.

If you're interested in finding out more about Shannon's campaign, check out her website or her facebook page.

Polls are open tomorrow from 9am to 8pm. Find your polling station here and go exercise your right to vote!



1 comment: